Friday, May 27, 2011

Some nights and days are longer than others

It was a busy night last night. Glenn got two more units of blood. We were awake a lot of the night; our nurse was the first person at the hospital that we didn't feel comfortable with his competence. He is the only exception to our very satisfying experience at Shands, G'ville, as I'm sure you are probably tired of hearing about by now! I  talked to the "Gentle Giant" nurse about how we were feeling and he came in and checked things out. Luckily Glenn was still alive and well by the end of that shift. I was more than a little concerned. This morning the P.A. came and said that the plan was to discharge Glenn today. By that time, we were not feeling like Glenn was ready to leave. He was still to get two more bags of platelets and something else that I can't even remember now what it was. He was feeling nauseated and not well and had a low grade temp. which they don't consider a real temp. As the morning went on, he got meds for his nausea and started feeling better, so I felt better about us leaving. The next hurdle was to find out if the Hope Lodge had a room available for us, or if we needed to figure out some other arrangements. I called there, and the lady I spoke to said they wouldn't have an opening until possibly Monday or Tuesday. So I just started packing us up while Glenn got his platelets. Later, I called another lady at the H.L. and asked her what the situation was. She said she couldn't give me an answer until we were officially discharged and to call as soon as that happened. The rooms are give on a first-come, first-served basis. I got the impression that she was rooting for us to get there first before anyone else who might be being discharged as well. Anyway, to make a long story not so long, we got the room there. Praise God! So we are back and settled in and glad to be here. We don't know how long we will be here before Glenn is discharged to go home, but from what the Dr. said, we may be home by next weekend. So, Mah Jongg ladies, get your cleaning rags ready to go over to the condo and do your thing! You guys are WONDERFUL!!!!!
I've had a couple people ask me if they can donate blood for Glenn. I have asked about that and the answer is that we have to call the blood bank directly for that answer. I tried to call here and the number that was listed connected me to their fax line. So if you want to call the blood bank there they can hopefully give you a definite answer. That's the best I can do for now. Thank you so much for being willing to give your blood.
There is so much more I could share with you all, but, for one thing, it really might bore you, and for another thing, I am exhausted from last night's ordeal and we have to get up early to go to the clinic. So, yep, you guessed it. I'm going to retire for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment