Friday, May 20, 2011

Progressing as expected

Bummed out. Our friends didn't make it here today. Two of them plan to come tomorrow instead. Plus another old, or rather, long-time friend ;-). Otherwise, Glenn has had a pretty uneventful day. One thing I forgot to report is that when I got back yesterday, his eye was red and swollen. He claims the nurse hit him. She claims he hit her first. And she said she will do it again. Actually, we don't know exactly what it is. The nurse said it's a good thing it didn't happen a few days ago before his body started working on making new white cells. I guess it wouldn't be able to heal then. His nurse expects that he will be getting platelets tonight and  possibly a couple units of blood as well because his counts have fallen, but that is expected. Apparently almost everybody gets platelets at least once during the process and often blood. the other concern is that his blood pressure  continues to be too high. I'm not at all surprised about that because he was taken off of two of his four meds for that. He has been getting a different one now on a regular schedule plus extra when it is still too high, which is frequently. One good thing, (forgive me if I've already reported this) his kidney failure went back from stage 4 to stage 3. It seems to be stabilized there now. That's the point of all this treatment: to kill the rampantly growing proteins in his blood that are damaging his kidneys. It's all very complicated but this Dr. seems to know what he's talking about. All the nurses say he's the best one in this field. We are so blessed to be able to have him treat Glenn's disease.
By the way, if you expect to see the svelte Glenn and slim Eda when you come to visit, I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed. He has retained a lot of fluid, and I have retained a lot of calories. He has had to abandon his eating regiment and I have found it futile to try while we are here. I eat what I can when I can, and eat comfort foods, ie sweets, regularly. Just wanted to give you a heads-up before you come to visit.

2 comments:

  1. The last thing any of us are concerned about is your weight! We love you both so much and there is nothing that could make you any more or less beautiful than you already are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm not liking this electronic age. I just wrote a perfectly good comment, and my computer ate it. Grrrr
    I reiterate, I sympatize with your feelings about not being able to eat what you need to, especially since you've worked so hard to control it - both of you. But I'm glad you've given yourself permission to eat while you're going through this. You will no doubt get back on your plan when you can - or you will just enjoy your life.

    Wonderful that Glenn's kidney function has improved!!! I'm sure he's thinking it had better with all this misery. And I'm sorry the nurses are being abusive, but, come on, Glenn must have asked for it. :)

    I hope your friends come today and you enjoy the visit. I imagine it would feel like you're on a desert island - or maybe a dessert island.
    Your faith through this is a thing of beauty, and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete