Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A new week, a new phase in life

Glenn was able to get his bone marrow biopsy done today, after having to cancel twice. We should find out how the Light Chain Deposition Disease is doing from the biopsy. The Dr. said he would call in a couple days to let us know. He got his drug of choice: Ativan. Funny side effect happened today after we got home. While he was sleeping off the Ativan, his toe nails turned different colors, as if they had been painted!  Strange.                                                             Tomorrow he has surgery to have the fistula and peritoneal dialysis catheter placed. He's moving on to a new phase in his life: peritoneal dialysis. That should start soon after the catheter is healed. The fistula is a back up if there is any trouble with the catheter. I'll fill you in on how the dialysis works at a later date when we learn how to do it. He has come to fully accept having to have dialysis and has a good attitude about it. He has come a loooonnnnngggg way with all this medical stuff being done to him. He was terrified of needles in the beginning. And now he can accept something that he absolutely did not want to have to do when this all began. He's a changed man, in many ways: retired, has much less hair, definitely unstressed, not so many ideas for new businesses but much more contemplative about life, definitely has greatly grown in his dependence on, and trust in, God. Many other ways as well. You all may think this is a terrible thing that's happening to him, but he and I see it as a great blessing because it has made him a better man and has brought much glory to God, which is the goal in whatever we do.
   "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2Cor. 12:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment