Saturday, February 25, 2012

Whew! A busy week, but a good one.

We just got internet back today after our move this week, so I can give you an update from Wed.'s Dr. visit. And it is good news: Glenn's kidney function has gotten even better. It had gotten down to 9% function and went to 11%, then 15%, and now 19%! We don't know why, but the Dr. is even more convinced it's because there is something else going on to cause the function to drop besides the original diagnosis of Light Chain Deposition Disease and that it is responding to the chemo. Probably the only way to find out is to do another kidney biopsy, but the nephrologist doesn't want to do that if not absolutely necessary because Glenn has already had two kidney biopsies and the neph. Dr. said it's with the third one that he has seen problems with bleeding in his experience. But whatever it is, the Oncologist in G'ville is very pleased at the improvement.
Glenn also had a consultation with the vascular surgeon and he will be having surgery to have  an access placed. It takes about 4 months for it to be ready to be used (for dialysis) and we don't want to have emergency dialysis if that scenario occurs. We, (the Drs. and we) want to be ready for it when it becomes necessary. That was about to happen when his function was at 9%. That's why the Dr told us at that time to come back prepared to be admitted. But it did get a little better at the next visit so we were able to hold off. God has been so good to Glenn with not having to go on dialysis. That is his prayer and what he has been requesting people to pray for. As I have mentioned before, he has been feeling better, so he is working on getting a program on the radio again and feeling like he can be useful in some way.
 I am soooo glad our move is over. This was probably the hardest move I personally have done, physically. You would think it would be the easiest since we were only moving about two blocks away. But I think that's one reason it was the hardest, since we did it over three days instead of one grand move. Glenn can't lift much at all so I did 90% of the moving, and Thursday the muscles came and did the heavy furniture. My lesson learned is to just do it all in one day when I have the strong people to move things. Between moving Tues., Wed., and Thurs., and going to G'ville Wed. and Fri. and staying up till 2:30 putting the kitchen together, I was so exhausted that I didn't get up today until 2:30 this afternoon. And did it ever help! We still have a mess to get organized. We don't have as much space as we moved from so it's creating a problem trying to arrange the furniture in a functional way. Even Glenn, the logistics major, hasn't figured it out yet. Still, I am glad the moves are over and we can settle in and feel at home now.
We go back to G'ville this coming Wed. to have his labs done because some of it isn't up to what it should be and is, in fact, continuing to fall, so the Dr. wants to check it and see what it does this week. So, I'll be back after that visit to fill you all in. Thank you for hanging in there with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment